National Fraternity ΔΣΠ
In the autumn of 1906, there were only a handful of business schools in the United States. One such school—The School of Commerce, Accounts, and Finance—enrolled 300 students as part of New York University. Four members of the Class of 1909—Alexander Frank Makay, Alfred Moysello, Henry Albert Tienken, and Harold Valentine Jacobs —started a fraternity for business majors that became what is known today as the International Fraternity of Delta Sigma Pi.
The response to their idea was positive and immediate. The Fraternity’s constitution was drafted and adopted in the fall of 1907 and the first officers elected. On April 2, 1908, the name Delta Sigma Pi was adopted and bylaws were approved, with the Fraternity’s badge and colors approved shortly thereafter. By 1911, the Fraternity was publishing a newsletter that evolved into the official publication still published today as The DELTASIG. In 1912, the Delta Sigma Pi Scholarship Key Award was established and continues to the present day. Delta Sigma Pi chartered its second chapter—at the Northwestern School of Commerce—in 1914 at the first Grand Chapter Congress.
After two world wars and the Great Depression, Delta Sigma Pi renewed its expansion efforts, establishing a permanent national headquarters to handle administrative services for the organization and a Foundation to support educational endeavors and offer valuable financial support to members through scholarships. Social change in the 1960s and 1970s led the Fraternity to examine its ideals and, in 1975, Delta Sigma Pi became the first business fraternity to officially initiate women.
Based on the initiative and founding ideals of these four young men, Delta Sigma Pi has grown to be the world’s foremost fraternity for business majors. With more than 260,000 initiated members and more than 300 chapters worldwide, Delta Sigma Pi continues to equip leaders and positively impact the business world—thanks to the efforts of our founding members.